A cooking and baking journal

Chocolate Chip Cookies - My Favorite Recipe


Chocolate Chip Cookie recipes are plentiful. Many of them that find their way into cookbooks or internet recipe banks, are just a stepping stone away from the famous Toll House recipe. Some walk on the wild side and sneak in sour cream or oats or even pumpkin. (Yeah, intrigued about that last one.)

I've tried many, many different recipes. For a time the Toll House recipe was trending high on my favorite list but the recipe is always a hit and miss because the cookies sometimes spread when baking and create a thin cookie. Not what I want a lot of the time.

I wanted to try out another Chocolate Chip recipe to make a cookie that has a chewy exterior and soft interior and that doesn't spread, the last being top priority. I'm excited to announce that I found one! It turns out that it was right under my nose. Let me explain. . . I was baking my favorite Four-Way Fudge Brownie recipe one day and I was saying to my brother that the cookbook I was using (Better Homes and Garden Cookie Classics--the first cookbook that I ever owned), has AWESOME recipes. Not only do they have some really approachable cookie flavors (such as their White Chocolate Raspberry Cookies), the recipes never fail. They always turn out great. 

That made me thinking. . . How about the Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe at the beginning of the book? There were so many recipe treasures in this book, the Chocolate Chip recipe could be a winner as well. And as I soon found out--it was





Favorite Chocolate Chip Cookies
click here for printable recipe

Yield: 50 cookies

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup shortening
1 cup granulated sugar
2 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon vanilla
4 eggs
5 cups all purpose flour
2-1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375F.

In a large mixing bowl beat the butter and shortening with an electric mixer on medium speed. Add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat mixture until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in the vanilla. Follow with the eggs, drop in one at a time. Add flour and beat until dough just comes together. Beat in chocolate chips. 

Drop dough by rounded tablespoons about 2 inches apart onto lined baking sheet. (Line with either nonstick foil or parchment.) Using a #40 spring loaded ice cream scoop really makes this step go a lot faster. 

Bake cookies in a 375F oven for 8-10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool.

Watch and Bake

I filmed a how-to video on how to make these chocolate chip cookies. It is a really fun video to watch and hope you check it out before you turn on the mixer. :)

click on image to view video


No comments:

Post a Comment